Watercolour New Zealand 3x3 Challenge
3 Paintings each week for 3 weeks
Saturday 4 April - Saturday 25 April 2020
Here is an easy way to keep your brushes wet and colour flowing during the COVID-19 Lockdown. We challenge you to use this time inside to complete 3 watercolour paintings each week for 3 weeks.
The rules are simple:
Complete 3 watercolour paintings each week for 3 weeks:
- No time limit for each painting
- Any subject, any size, any time
- Photograph or scan your painting and share on Instagram and it will feed directly to Facebook and the Watercolour New Zealand website to create an instant gallery.
- No entry fee, no prizes, no pressure
- Look for inspiration from scenes around you or use old photo resources frompast travels.
- Spend as much time as you need to draw and paint.
- You may share on Instagram using #wnzchallenge2020 hashtag, on Facebook, or simply with your family/friend/neighbours.
- Find inspiration for Splash paintings.
If you are keen to join and have more questions please email us firstname.lastname@example.org
and we will send you the details.
How to photograph your painting
Find a place where there is even light, with no direct sunlight or deep shadows.
If you are using a camera: lay your painting flat. Take a stable stance so you can look directly down on the painting. Position the lense above the middle of the painting. Zoom in. Ensure the edges of the paper line up with the edges of the screen, to avoid tapered edges. Hold the camera still while you ‘click’.
If you are using a mobile phone: place the painting vertical – perhaps tack to a wall. Locate the lense on the back of the phone and position opposite the centre of the painting. Hold the phone parallel with the painting to avoid tapered edges. Hold still when you ‘click’. You may wish to use an app e.g Snapseed – to edit. (Snapseed is free and includes a tutorial.)
How to share your painting
You may not wish to share via the internet. Instead, how about sharing your daily paintings with a friendly neighbour or family member, or sending to an artist friend for mutual comment.
We’ll share on Instagram with the hashtag #wnzchallenge2020
, please use Please add this hashtag, this will ensure your paintigns is found and could be featured in the Watercolour New Zealand gallery.
for an Instagram account if you don’t have one yet. If you’ve never used Instagram, start by downloading the app. Instagram is available for smartphones, tablets, and computers.
Launch the app, and create an account in one of two ways:
Option 1: Sign up with your email address or phone number, and then enter a username.
Option 2: If you have a Facebook account, you can log in with the same information and link the accounts.
Already have an Instagram account?
Just sign in, and start uploading.
Note that images on Instagram are square by default, so you can click the expand arrows or pinch the image in the lower left to fit the whole picture on Instagram.
After upload click next & GIVE THE PAINTING A TITLE AND ADD YOUR NAME.
You can also share a description and some notes.
Please add this hashtag - #wnzchallenge2020
If you are photographing your painting on your phone and uploading direct … Then the above is all your need to know!
Uploading from your desktop PC
Many artists like to use a camera rather than a mobile phone, so they can edit their photograph before sharing it.
Uploading from desktop PC to Instagram works best on Google Chrome.
Open the Chrome browser and log in to Instagram.
- Right-click with your mouse and choose 'Inspect' or click CTRL+SHIFT+i, to bring up the Chrome developer window (you can safely ignore gibberish code on a right.)
- Refresh (CTRL+F5)
- Hit the + icon and you should be able to browse your computer to upload an image. And that’s it!
If this doesn't work, watch this video for more detailed instructions: https://youtu.be/e633jE45jvM
Copyright © Watercolour New Zealand and its contributors. All Rights Reserved.