Suggested List of Art Materials for Watercolour Classes & Workshops
by Jacky Pearson
(bring plenty of student or artist quality TUBE paint
that you can squeeze from the tube at the workshop so that it is fresh and not dried out.)
Don’t go to too much expense * = preferred colours
A cool and warm of each primary colour eg
- Ultramarine Blue (warm) *
- Cobalt Blue (cool)
- Cerulean Blue (cool) *
- Cadmium Red (warm)
- Quinacridone Gold (warm)
- Alizarin Crimson or other cool red (cool) *
- Raw Sienna or yellow ochre (warm) *
- Lemon Yellow or Aureolin (cool)
- Viridian or Cobalt Turquoise (cool) *
- Burnt Sienna (warm) *
- Raw Umber (cool)
1. Saunders, Langton, Arches, Fabriano rough 300 gms (100% cotton) or student eg.Bockingford, rough 300gms (paper pulp)
At least one full sheet per day(54x76cm) or equiv. size - eg 2xA3.
2. A5 orA4 spiral sketch pad or note pad
Small and medium pointed (pref.squirrel) mop or equivalent one large enough to cover large areas with few strokes, plus synthetic med-small pointed detail brush and a small flat synthetic brush.
- a simple plastic palette with at least 4 mixing compartments, preferably with a lid or a white dinner plate.
Piece of ply or Gater Board(plastic coated foam core) big enough to take ½ sheet watercolour paper
Easel (desk top)
If you haven’t got one eg. a block 30c length 4x2” wood to prop art board
-Any size,cheap/empty from home to fill with water.
- Approximately 1” wide, cheap high or medium tack to tape paper to board and divide paper up for exercises
-at least 1lt
B, plus a very heavy pencil such as 4 or 6B.
Kneedable Putty Eraser and ruler
Box of tissues
or rag and a small piece of flat kitchen sponge
This is only a suggestion list intended as the basic requirements but feel free to bring what you usually use.